Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Odds of Finishing my PhD




I never dreamed of going to school again where the odds are so great that if I could make it on time, then it must be a miracle. This time, I am taking a doctorate degree with so many odds at hand – being a single mom juggling responsibilities with my children to which one of them has to undergo therapy.

What’s my take into going back to school again despite the odds?

My hours are flexible but still, I need a lot of time particularly for writing and researching. There is a need to work odd hours depending on the field of study. However, looking back, I did not work efficiently in my college level: there was lots of chatting, taking lab trips to the ice cream store, going for lab coffee breaks and then research wise going down many unnecessarily rabbit holes.

Next would be the support. I have colleagues supporting me all the way to finishing this degree. The school is even keen on soft loans for paying the hefty amounts in the dissertation level.

The third one would be the financial freedom it will give me after finishing the degree. When you’re teaching at a university here in the Philippines, the least possible way of climbing to higher pay is to get an advanced degree; that is, a doctorate degree. The pay may not be great but it pays for the bills. Rates are higher when you have the degree and it specially works if you are doing part-time jobs in post-graduate studies.


Finally, the duration is relatively short. I can finish it in a matter of three years but considering what dissertation paper to make, it would not be safe to say that is three years. Nevertheless, commitment and perseverance would be the answer to finishing my degree the soonest possible time.

It is not easy but it is doable!



Disclaimer

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and does not necessarily reflect that of the author’s employer, to the school were the author is currently enrolled, organization, committee or other group or individual.







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Odds of Finishing my PhD

I never dreamed of going to school again where the odds are so great that if I could make it on time, then it must be a miracle. This...